Friday, January 20, 2012

¡Hemanita!

My daily trip to La Casa de Niñas has really opened my heart and reminded me of the expressive nature of Latin Americans. I was instantly welcomed, kissed, and hugged by habitants of the three-story home for girls. Their contagious positive energy and alegria vibrated through the dusty air. As each day passes I become more attached to these strong little women. I feel like mother hen surrounded by little ones.

These girls were mostly left at this home by their struggling parents who are unable to raise them due to financial concerns or to help them escape from an abusive situation. My heart shrunk yesterday when I met a mother in tears, leaving her older daughter behind at the house. Like many other single parents, she expressed how she could not afford to take care her own children and had no choice but to leave her abusive husband behind and ultimately provide her off-spring with a better future by leaving them at the house.

Leaving today was tough. It so easy to look around my surroundings and compare the poverty I see in The Casa with life in the U.S. It makes me feel hopeless and detached knowing I cannot do enough to help improve their living environment. The dirty sheets, the dusty play room, the cold bathing hose, the heads covered in lice, and the three-to-a-bed situation can be quite shocking. But, every time I take a deep breath and truly look around I see so much life and happiness beyond the physical elements. These girls exude nothing but positivity and light. Their little bodies stand tall above these issues and I can see the thankful gleam in their eyes to have each other. It’s hard not to feel inspired and loved.

I will truly miss each little one.

The Little Ones


--Ana Maia

No comments:

Post a Comment