Tuesday, January 17, 2012

It Is What You Make It

My position coaching basketball to 10-16 year old Peruvians at summer camp has not been easy, but my experience has been extremely positive.

Language barriers, a lack of basketball experience, and physical limitations made my coaching experience difficult at first. Traditional instruction was impossible, because I don't speak much Spanish, and the 80 kids I coach don't speak any English.  Also, the camp is the first basketball experience for many of the children so they weren't ready to play games and didn't know basic drills. Finally, many of the children lacked the strength to throw the ball up to the rim or stamina to run the court. Though I initially felt overwhellmed, alone, and discouraged, I stuck with it.

Each challenge eventually became a positive. The language barrier taught me to teach without speaking. I demonstrate slowly and correct my student's form. My students' inexperience meant that they learned all of the basics, dribbling, shooting, and passing from me, which is a great feeling. My students lack of physical abilities allowed me to be a personal trainer! I had my students doing pushups, squats, and sit ups. The students are learning, enjoying, getting active, and most importantly, learning life long physical fitness skills.

One day that was a metaphor for my coaching experience is my third day when a 10 year old child missed 25 shots in a row because he could not hit the rim. We did not let limitations stop us. I gave the child the ball one more time, picked him up, lifted him to the rim, and watched him slam home the basket to loud cheers!

The experience is what you make it, and I made mine about training kids in healthy physical activities and reaching individual children.

-Tristan

No comments:

Post a Comment